A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met most of the legal needs to be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a document that is 2-part. The top component is a Registration of Marriage plus the underside may be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be provided to the wedding officiant which is doing your wedding. This might be a document that is legal must certanly be held in good shape and never folded since it is forever archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) are not appropriate in the place of a married relationship licence.
There are not any citizenship or residency needs.
There is absolutely no time frame that has to pass amongst the date a couple comes in Alberta while the date a married relationship licence is released.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A wedding licence is valid for three months through the date it really is released.
A marriage can take spot the exact same time a wedding licence is released. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for an Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
If you’re presently hitched, you can not make an application for an Alberta marriage licence.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you have to:
- Use together during the registry agent workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk with a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal, and the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be linked to one another being a grandparent, moms and dad, kid, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or visually reduced
- Either person getting hitched is an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you should be 18 yrs old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Talk to a registry representative for complete details.
If you’re younger than 16 years old, you can’t marry in Alberta.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if among the few usually do not have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be among the after:
- Proof divorce proceedings becomes necessary; the divorce or separation document supplied should be the last document (for instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X period of time is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to learn in the event that last documents were filed or the divorce proceedings ended up being contested throughout that time.
- Divorce proceedings documents which are not in English should be translated; talk to a registry agent for interpretation demands.
- A death certification associated with dead partner is not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are required.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be issued via a court, the individual’s marital status reverts returning to exactly just what it had been before that annulled wedding took spot. The earlier marital status may need to be proven. For instance:
- Once the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of breakup needs to be supplied along with a duplicate for the court ordered annulment
- If the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is required
Whenever a married relationship had been annulled, a duplicate for the court ordered annulment should be supplied. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are perhaps maybe not accepted, only court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English needs to be translated. Talk with a registry representative for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, both associated with the people who can be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is necessary. When an interpreter will become necessary, it’s your obligation to deliver one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 years old or older
- Fluent both in English while the language needing interpretation
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is fluent into the other language, then that registry representative worker might end up being the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There was a $40 federal federal government cost for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step One. Make certain you meet the criteria to utilize for a married relationship licence
The wedding must certanly be occurring in Alberta over the following a few months.
Before you apply, be certain to as well as your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Bring your appropriate ID to you to have the wedding licence.
Other documents may be required, such as for example divorce or separation papers. Contact a registry representative, they could verify exactly just what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
Once you use
A married relationship licence is released although you wait.
If you fail to have all the given information and papers required, the procedure will likely to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence into the ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for mistakes whenever you obtain it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony occurs, mistakes may be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony takes place, mistakes needs to be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied if the wedding licence ended up being given.
Connect to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5